Yaman Dede Mosque (Panaya Church)

Yaman Dede Mosque (Panaya Church)

The structure is located on Karabey Street. The church was built by Metropolitan Ionnis in 1886 during the reign of Sultan Abdülhamit, and after Greek citizens left Talas through exchange, it was turned into a mosque and opened for worship in 1925 with the transfer of ownership. The structure, which was originally a church, was built in a cruciform plan scheme. The mihrab and pulpit were added in the south direction and the structure was turned into a mosque. The structure known as Panaya Church was named Yaman Dede mosque after it was converted into a mosque. There are shops arranged in tol form under the terrace part of the mosque. Today, shops serve cultural purposes.

×