Germir Panaya Church

Germir Panaya Church

Germir (Kermira), in the turbulent period of the Ottoman Empire approximately between 1590-1620, Celali
It was founded as a result of the population movement to the life during the uprisings (Grisword, 1981: 338-339). The first of the village
its inhabitants are Christian Armenians who came from the surrounding areas and settled in this sheltered, small valley and engaged in leatherwork;
The name of the village comes from the word 'karmir' which means tannery in Armenian. (Rizos, 1856: 72-
73; Levidis, 1885: 264)

A small number of Greeks settled in the village after 1700, the Greek population increased in a short time and the Armenians
and surpassed the population of Muslim Turks who settled in the village at the same time as them. According to the sources,
In 1840, there were about 800 households in the village, 400 of which were Greek, 300 were Armenian and 100 were Turkish (Sarkoğlu,
1959). By 1899, the rates seem to have changed slightly; According to the records, the village population at that time consisted of approximately 3000 Turkish-speaking Greek Orthodox, 2000 Armenians and 1000 Turks (Sarantidu, 1899: 114-115). However, just before the exchange in 1924, as in many surrounding villages, there was a serious drop in the Greek population due to migration; According to the records, while 1000 Armenians and Turks lived in the village during this period, the Greek population was only 211. (Murelos, c. II, 2004: 83)

Since the Greek settlements in the village, they were especially engaged in commerce, and in a short time they gained a significant wealth.
Therefore, the material conditions made it possible to establish a large number of Greek schools in Germir and thus Germir,
After Kayseri and Zincidere, it became the most important education center of the region in the 19th century. In the same period, two large churches were built in the village; Saint Teodoros Church, which is partially underground, was opened to worship in 1725 and Panayia (Kimisis tis Teotoku) Church, which is a two-storey bell tower, was opened to worship in 1837. In addition to these two churches, three Armenian churches, a significant number of residences, some cave structures and a small stone bridge have survived.

 

×